Insomnia during my first trimester


I experienced bouts of insomnia throughout my first trimester. There were nights where I would be tossing and turning the whole night, while other nights, I would fall asleep, only to wake up at 3 or 4am and not being able to sleep after that.

From what I read, it's actually quite common for one to experience insomnia during pregnancy, especially during the first and third trimester. During the first trimester, the body is going through hormonal changes, while the third trimester is due to sleep disturbances such as frequent urination, heartburn and backaches.

I've compiled several tips which I have found to help me sleep better (at times!):

Go to bed at night when you're tired, instead of following your usual sleeping time

If you wait till your sleeping time, the tiredness may have passed, and you may find it difficult to fall asleep.


Listen to relaxing music before sleeping

To calm down your mind and soul.

Avoid watching tv, computer or reading books before sleeping

Sometimes, the things you watch or read may trigger your mind to start racing again, thus making it harder to fall asleep. A rule of thumb is also to avoid having a tv in the room.

Jot down problems and thoughts instead of keeping them recycled in your mind

As I'm a born worrier, I find this very helpful. I'll imagine pulling out my problems or thoughts from my head (kinda like Dumbledore in Harry Potter movie), putting it in a balloon, and letting it slowly float away.

Exercise is a great way to relax

I haven't actually done this yet, but I'm itching to do it. I've always been exercising before my pregnancy - either swimming, walking or yoga. But I had to stop during my first trimester due to the morning sickness symptoms.

Hopefully these few tips will help you as well.

Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.